"My boys may not have travelled the world, but they have certainly travelled Alberta."

Friday, July 30, 2010

July 29 - World's Largest Jade Buddha Tour

After arriving home on July 28, my mom asked me if we'd had a chance to visit the World's Largest Jade Buddha while we were in Westlock. I had no idea what she was talking about. Apparently she'd heard something on CBC about this Buddha being at the Westlock Meditation Center for a few days promoting world peace. It was only one of three Canadian stops. After she left, I hit the Internet for more information.

The Jade Buddha for Universal Peace is the largest Buddha
carved from gemstone quality jade in the world.
The Jade Buddha is 2.7 metres high and sits on an alabaster throne of 1.4 high.
The Jade Buddha itself weighs around 4 tonne and has been valued at $5 million.
Its size and beauty make it a wonder of the world.

Knowing that my mother-in-law would be interested, I invited her to meet us there. I was also able to convince my husband to tag along. I had a general address to the center, but nothing concrete. The first thing we did wrong was head from here to Westlock. Why? Well, the Westlock Meditation Center is actually not in Westlock and certainly not that close to it. We were driving down a RRD when Hubby decided that we were going the wrong way. I tried to assure him that we were not since the numbers were getting smaller, but being as stubborn as I am he turned around.

After a phone call from my MIL, who was already there and waiting for us, we attempted to continue on our scavenger hunt. Step one, turn around and go back in the right direction. Turn after turn we did eventually find the center, which is much closer to Pickardville or even Busby than Westlock.

I wish that I could explain the experience of being there. Though the place was relatively busy, the atmosphere was very calming. The aura and the spiritual energy so riveting. I really did feel at peace. I was so unsure of the proper etiquette. Were there certain rules around photography? Did I need to bow as I approached the statue?

I gave a small donation to help with the tour. The message of peace is such an important one for the world to hear. I don't just mean peace in the world, I also mean peace with personal relationships and peace within one's self. My MIL was also kind enough to buy me a blanket as a souvenir or this magical moment. I am still in ah, at the beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment