"My boys may not have travelled the world, but they have certainly travelled Alberta."

Saturday, July 31, 2010

July 31 - Canmore Here We Come

With the boys having left for Canmore on Friday; this trip would only be Hubby and I. I think he is even less enthusiastic about visiting all the big things than the boys are. I had previously mapped out the route, and it would take us most of the day to get there, with stops.

The first couple of stops were easy; we would generally drive by them on our way out of town anyway; well, with just slight detours. The first stop was at Edmonton Southgate Center (what used to be called Southgate Mall), to see what I believe are the World's Largest Shoes and Stockings (Immense Mode). I thought they were so cool. I loved the details of the flowers on the boots. I just wish they were easier to get to. Poor Hubby looked really embarrassed to be there taking the photos.

Not to far away, was our next stop: the #1 Leduc Oil Derrick Replica, located at the Edmonton Whitemud information center. Of course on our way there we saw the large Labatt's Beer Can. I enjoyed the views and the opportunity to take some artistic photos. The location was busier than I would have expected; however, given that it was the Friday of a long weekend I guess it makes sense.

We then took a slight detour and headed west towards Devon to view the Baseball Helmet and oil derricks. The helmet is easily seen off the Hwy, located beside the ball diamonds. Across the Hwy are the oil derricks. We didn't drive by them; I simply took pictures of it from a distance.

I wanted to cross over the Hwy to visit Hay Lakes to see the Hay Bale Lifters. Hubby, of course, didn't see the logic in this. Why would we zigzag across the Hwy? I suppose it was a good thing that I was prepared and had a second route mapped out. So, we headed south to Mulhurst to find a pink combine. That was the biggest waste of time. It is on a private lot, behind a fence, acting as an advertisement for some restaurant that was closed (Hill Top House).

We then did a quick drive through visit of Pigeon Lake (Ma-Me-O Beach). I forgot how beautiful it was. I was also surprised that I remember anything about it.

"The Rock" in Bluffton was the next scheduled stop. Here is where it would have been nice to have real direction. Bluffton is one of those towns that if you blink you will miss it. I finally convinced Hubby to stop, so we pulled into a little store. A nice gentleman agreed to show us the way. We followed him to the corner of Hwy 20 and TWP RD 440 at the Commemorative Memorial Park. It is literally a rock. The history behind it has something to do with honouring the courage and sacrifice of early settlers, teachers and military personnel. It was here that I wished I had the luxury of being a male, so I too could simply empty my bladder into an bottle. However, I don't have that option so the bushes were my only choice, which tells you how badly I had to go.

Since crossing the Hwy was out, I'd have to save Ponoka for another day. We continued south towards Sylan Lake. I was surprised at how cozy the town felt. I quickly found the mermaid and child statue in front of the information center parking lot. I then walked to the end of the parking lot to take photos of the wooden sail boat and big anchor. Across the road there were three metal people holding up what could be a globe. I think it is somehow connected to the Credit Union. As we were leaving town I noticed a cute freestanding clock tower in the Legion Park. At some point, I also noticed some metal palm trees at a car wash.

For some reason I was excited about seeing the world's largest cream can in Markerville. As soon as you drove into Markerville, you felt like you were driving back into the past. As with most of the roadside attractions, I had a hard time finding this one with the directions that I was given. We tried to follow signs towards the and then the Stephansson House Provincial Historic Site and the Markerville Creamery; however somehow we must have missed the turnoff. We then went back towards town and decided to drive west on the main road. There is was on the south side of TWP RD 364A. After taking photos of the cream can, I walked back to take some photos of old building and some scenic shots of the river.

As we drove towards Sundre, I think I already knew that the 8-ball was gone, but I had to be certain and verify for myself. It used to be on some one's private lot, and was taken down when it was sold. Apparently it wasn't much of a roadside attraction to begin with. Sundre provided a great place to rest and have some Subway for lunch. Now on a familiar route, we headed towards Cochrane, so I could get a picture of the cowboy statue.

There is no road access to the statue, so we parked in the information parking lot off Hwy 22, and walked up the hill. This is were we discovered how bad the mosquitoes were. It was unfortunate that neither of us had any spray on. As we walked up the hill, I took my time and took some lovely scenic photos. The Man of Vision, as it is called, overlooks the Cochrane Ranch Historic Site. It was commissioned in honour of the working cowboy of the early ranching days in the area. Buzz obviously thought it was real, because he wouldn't stop growling and barking at it. Eventually, after smelling it for awhile, he gave up. We tried to stick to the path on the way down, but it looked as though it went the wrong way, so we cut down the side of the hill. It was hard for me to get my baring in the tall grass.

Almost in Canmore, I had one more scheduled stop at Dead Man's Flats to get a photo of the windmill. However, we got sidetracked, and pulled off towards SeeBe, once a hamlet of within the Municipal District of Bighorn #8. It is now believed to be a ghost town, which was left just as it was when the employees of the former Calgary Power Company Ldt. left in 2004. Navi, stopped us in the middle of a bridge. Just passed the bridge is a locked gate. I believe that behind those gates is Seebe. Although, some articles have stated that many of the buildings and houses have been moved.

Of course, Hubby didn't believe me that we couldn't get to Dead Man's Flats without turning around. So we continued toward Exshaw, and entered Canmore the back way. This last stretch of road was enough to make my stomach crawl. The car sickness that I'd been trying so hard to keep at bay, hit and I was nauseous and dizzy; I was more than ready to get of the van and put my feet up for a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment